License and Permit Checklist
- Check with your County Clerk about requirements for County Business License.
- Check with City Clerk for requirement for City Business License if business located within the city limits.
- Have you requested your Fictitious Name from the Missouri Secretary of State? (Businesses not forming as corporations)
- Business forming as a corporation – have you filed your Articles of Incorporation with the Missouri Secretary of State Office?
- Does your business require you to collect sales tax in and out of the State of Missouri? Have you applied for a Sales Tax and Use Tax number from the Missouri Department of Revenue?
- Will your business have employees? Have you applied for a Federal Employee Identification Number (EIN) from the IRS by calling over the phone: 1-800-829-4933?
- Do you know the proper amount of Federal and State Tax to withhold from your employees? Contact IRS, Missouri Department of Revenue or your CPA for guidance.
- Workers’ Compensation Insurance is mandatory for businesses that employ more than five full time employees or construction companies with one or more employees: Have you contacted a private insurance company for coverage?
- Does your business require any special licenses or permits? (i.e. Pest Control, Food, Plumbers, Daycare, Liquor, Real Estate, and Heating and Air Conditioning).